ST. PETERSBURG, Fla. (Might 8, 2023) – The Tampa Bay Regional Planning Council’s twenty ninth annual Way forward for the Area Awards honored 13 organizations for notable achievements and contributions which have led to regional profit. The Awards had been offered through the third Tampa Bay Regional Resiliency Management Summit on Friday, Might 5.
This yr, Pinellas County Commissioner Chair Janet C. Lengthy acquired the Herman W. Award for Regional Management, which is known as for the founding father of the Tampa Bay Regional Planning Council. The award honors an individual that encourages future imaginative and prescient for his or her neighborhood and continues to implement motion.
Lengthy has devoted her 42 years in public service to advancing Tampa Bay’s resiliency, sustainability and preservation for the present neighborhood and future generations. She’s additionally pushed the usual ahead for public transportation and different regional alternatives for development. Beforehand, Lengthy served as chair of the Tampa Bay Regional Planning Council, within the Florida Home of Representatives, Seminole Metropolis Council, and on a variety of native boards.
The Pinellas Suncoast Transit Authority, Pinellas County’s public transit supplier, acquired the 2023 One Bay McIntosh Award for the SunRunner, a first-of-its variety bus fast transit system that started service in October 2022. PSTA’s SunRunner system makes use of quiet, low-emission, hybrid electrical automobiles to shuttle residents, staff and vacationers round densely populated areas and mitigates visitors congestion.
The One Bay McIntosh Award is likely one of the Way forward for the Area Awards’ highest honors. The award is offered to a corporation that embodies the ideas of the One Bay Livable Communities Imaginative and prescient, which outlines priorities for accountable land use, mobility, financial, and environmental sustainability for inhabitants and employment development.
As well as, the Tampa Bay Regional Planning Council offered Way forward for the Area Awards in 5 classes.
Constructed Surroundings demonstrates greatest business practices in selling compact growth and redevelopment whereas preserving historical past, beautifying public areas and contributing to a singular regional identification.
• The City of Indian Shores created the Tocobaga Memorial artwork set up to beautify a public area whereas preserving and honoring the neighborhood’s earliest residents, the Tocobaga tribe. Consultants from native universities, the Weedon Island Protect, the Seminole Tribe of Florida, and the Bishop Museum labored with native officers to create a plaza that conjures up guests to replicate on the native tradition and historical past.
• The Hillsborough County Aviation Authority’s Tampa Worldwide Airport accomplished a number of key parts of its Grasp Plan II that help sustainability. The airport’s new Blue Categorical lanes double capability and enhance air high quality, a brand new central utility plant will increase power effectivity, and its SkyCenter One business workplace achieved the Platinum stage LEED certification.
Group Preparedness and Resiliency improves the area’s capability to guard life and property from hurricanes, different coastal excessive hazards, rising sea ranges and will increase the general public’s information and entry to details about pure and artifical disasters.
• Candy Sparkman Structure and Interiors labored with Eckerd Faculty on a Resilience Framework Plan to adapt to the stressors of sea stage rise and growing rainfall for the waterfront campus. The versatile framework guides short- and long-term planning course of to establish potential adaptation initiatives and set up tips for priorities.
• Madrid CPWG labored with the Metropolis of St. Pete Seaside to develop a planning instrument for flood mitigation. The instrument aids in analyzing coverage choices based mostly on the extent of flooding, depth and length of flooding, and a planning stage capital finances for pumping flood waters.
Group Service enriches the lives of Tampa Bay residents.
• Plan Hillsborough-Tampa Heights Junior Civic Affiliation’s FLiP summer time management growth program creates consciousness of city planning and conjures up future planners and neighborhood advocates. By this system, highschool college students acquire expertise land use ideas, transportation methods, financial growth, civic engagement, sustainability and fairness by hands-on actions.
• The Metropolis of Holmes Seaside launched a marketing campaign known as Islanders 4 Clear Water to lift consciousness of points that affect water high quality. Its 10 water-smart actions inspired residents to contemplate the ways in which they might positively affect the realm’s water of their day by day choices.
Financial system & Vitality diversifies the regional economic system, attracts high quality companies and job creation, helps small-and medium-sized native companies and entrepreneurs as a supply of innovation, whereas investing in power conservation applied sciences or various power sources.
• Pasco County Authorities, Pasco Financial Improvement Council, Welbilt, Inc., and College of Florida Extension Service partnered to satisfy a neighborhood want for business kitchen area and entrepreneurial coaching. The Pasco County Business Incubator Kitchen now helps 30 new companies within the meals business, and most of these companies are minority and/or veteran owned.
• Pinellas County Board of County Commissioners and Pinellas County Financial Improvement’s Worker Websites Program supplies funding to beat market and website growth constraints which have traditionally stalled industrial and workplace growth. This system leverages private- and public-sector investments to facilitate new infrastructure and construct the subsequent era of contemporary properties.
Pure Assets and the Surroundings improves neighborhood connectivity to the setting.
• The Tampa Bay Estuary Program’s Little Manatee River Wild Scenic Designation and Conceptual Restoration Plan created partnerships and layers of safety to method conservation and water high quality enchancment for our area.
• The Ecosphere Restoration Institute and Metropolis of Tampa’s Ignacio Haya Dwelling Shoreline and Wetland Restoration Undertaking applied a residing shoreline to deal with erosion from boat wakes. Whereas main goal was stabilizing the riverbank, the usage of a residing shoreline is extra resilient, reduces sediment, and improves water high quality.
• The Metropolis of Dunedin’s Gladys E. Douglas Protect is the most important remaining undeveloped land in Pinellas County. The Metropolis of Dunedin and Pinellas County moved rapidly to allocate $5.5 million in land preservation funds to protect for future generations to get pleasure from.
In regards to the Tampa Bay Regional Planning Council
The Tampa Bay Regional Planning Council brings collectively governments to coordinate planning for the neighborhood’s future and supply a chance for sharing options among the many native authorities jurisdictions within the Tampa Bay area. The TBRPC works with six counties and 21 municipalities as they make long-range plans associated to the way forward for the Tampa Bay area. The Council’s work focuses on resiliency, planning for local weather change and sea stage rise, environmental administration, water high quality, emergency preparedness planning, safety and restoration of the Tampa Bay estuary, financial evaluation, coastal zone administration, housing and infrastructure evaluation, native authorities complete plan opinions, cross acceptance, dispute decision and opinions of transportation plans. Study extra at tbrpc.org.